Saturday, July 14, 2007

Star Garland continued . . .

OK --- ready to make the patterns? (and believe me, this is a VERY inexact science !! -- just free and easy !) To start each star, I just drew a 5 pointed star the way they taught back in elementary school (see picture #1) -- start at point A , go up to point B, down to point C, up to point D , across to point E and back down to point A. After that, I just rounded out the points to come up with my finished star pattern. The largest star (#1) measures approximately 7 1/2 " tall and 6 1/2 " wide. The medium star (#2) measures approximately 5 3/4 " tall and 5 1/4" wide. The smallest star (#3) measures approximately 3 1/2 " tall and 3 1/2" wide. Of course, if you want a more precise star, you could use Betsy Ross's directions for a 5 - pointed star.

To make the tie pattern, I first drew a sideways figure 8 - - then I just eliminated the middle part where the lines cross over and rounded it out. The tie measures approximately 7 1/4" wide by 1 1/4" tall.

I decided to tea dye the rope base ( picture #4) that the stars are strung on (I wanted a more vintage look and felt the rope was too stark white). To tea dye, (another inexact science the way I do it!) I pour boiling water into a large bowl and put 2 tea bags in to steep for a few minutes. I used Red Rose tea bags -- i.e. just regular tea bags. I think you might get slightly different shades by using different tea bags e.g. green tea bags give a lighter, more yellow finished dye color). I put the rope in the tea bath and let it sit for about 5 minutes. (I think it would get darker if you let it in there longer. ). After I take it out, I rinse it with cold water and let it dry.

Okee, dokee -- on to the cutting directions!


1 comment:

Nan said...

Your "inexact science" suits me just fine, probably because I can understand it! LOL! Thank you for the instructions - I shall make several of these, I am sure!