Friday, July 13, 2007

Garland instructions ..........(finally !!!) SHEESH !




Nope -- No -- I haven't fallen off the face of the earth --just got way too busy at work , etc. Kept me away from sewing, crafting and blogging. BUT, now that it's Friday early evening, I'm squeezing in my blogging before my jogging, (well, it's more like a combination of a fast walk and a slow trot ....) and also before that pile of paperwork which has , again , accumulated on my desk.

ANYHOW, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short (actually it's more like many days late). My original plan for the Star Spangled Garland was to post the instructions for making it BEFORE the 4th of July so anyone who wanted to also make it in time to actually display on the 4th of July could. However, since I didn't finish the one I made until the morning of the 4th of July, Plan A didn't work out ....... so, here' s Plan B : you could make one now and be WAY early for the next 4th of July, OR you could make the garland in Christmas colors , OR you could make the garland in colors to go in a baby's room, etc ! (the picture with the red, white and blue fabrics are the fabrics I used for my garland. The picture with the pinks, and greens I thought would make a pretty Christmas garland or a pretty garland for a little girl's room; and the blue and yellow fabrics , which I LOVE, would also make a cute garland for a baby's room)

So, here's the list of stuff you need to make this garland ( you can make it longer, with more stars, but then , of course, you need more stuff to make it. I made my garland with 3 big stars, and 2 sets of cascading stars , and 1 star at each end of the rope).

Materials:
(I used 4 different fabrics)

1/4 yd red stripe fabric
1/4 yd red with white stars fabric
1/4 yd blue with white stars fabric
fat 1/8 yd beige print
82 inches cotton clothesline rope (approx 1/4 inch diameter)
25 inches jumbo rick rack
1/2 yd cotton batting
9 large buttons
Pearl cotton or embroidery floss (red)
pinking shears

OK, I think that's everything - - oh, except a sewing machine -- but, actually, you could do this entire project by hand stitching -- which would be fun and relaxing, but , as usual, being the "Queen of Last Minute", I had my sewing machine pedal floored and was breaking the sewing speed limit at 2:30 AM in an attempt to finish the project on time.

ANYHOW, this is my first attempt at giving instructions for one of my sewing projects ( I usually make stuff up as I go along, so this time I tried to take notes and take pictures as I was sewing.) -- so, if anything is as clear as mud and you have questions, please feel free to post your questions in the comments or also feel free to email me (and I will attempt to clear up the mud!)

OKee Dokey --- I will continue these instructions tomorrow (right now I need to get off my butt and get out and walk before it gets dark and the bears come out!) So........ see you tomorrow ! Same Bat time, same Bat station!! ( remember that from that 1960's Batman TV show? I know, I'm dating myself ......UGH !)

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

No comments: