Monday, June 4, 2007

Strawberry shortcake !!!

Yesterday at the grocery store I bought organic strawberries with no particular plan in mind. Today , while running around between house stuff and work and squeezing some exercise in, I had the ridiculous and unfamiliar desire to make a decent dinner , including dessert ! What the heck is that all about?!? Maybe because this morning I caught a little bit of Martha on TV and it rubbed off on me? Anyhow, making a complete dinner including dessert on a week night, especially Monday, is as remote an idea as me having tea with the Queen on a Thursday. Anyhow, I decided to try and make a Weight Watchers friendly version of Strawberry Shortcake. Never one to do things completely homemade, I pulled out my trusty box of Heart Smart Low Fat Bisquick and followed the recipe on the box. (the only change I made was I substituted Splenda for the sugar.) Well, they came out really good ! and they were very quick and easy to make. (by the way, that blob on the top of the shortcake is low fat coolwhip -- it wasn't quite defrosted there which is why it looks a little stiff.) Anyhow, here's the recipe if any of you would like to try it -- oh, and by the way, it's only 3 Wt Watcher points per serving -- which is a good thing!

Strawberry Shortcake

Ingredients:

1 pint of strawberries
1/4 cup Splenda
1/3 cup fat-free skim milk
1 cup reduced - fat baking mix (eg. Bisquick)
2 TBSP Splenda
low fat cool whip

Wash and cut up strawberries. Mix strawberries with 1/4 cup splenda. Heat oven to 425. Stir Bisquick mix 2 TBSP splenda, and milk until soft dough forms. Drop by 4 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and cool whip. Makes 4 shortcakes. Enjoy!


I also thought I'd post a picture of my VERY slow moving granny square afghan project. I purposely leave it in the kitchen so that when I 'm waiting for the tea kettle to boil, I can pick it up and work on it for a few minutes -- which doesn't happen as often as I'd like it to -- I usually end up getting distracted by a million other things - - - but, this morning after I got back from the school bus stop I purposely ignored the mess in the kitchen sink and picked up the granny square instead -- just until the tea kettle was whistling up a storm --- so I made a teensy little bit of progress , at least!

The last picture is of a bouquet of BEAUTIFUL roses my husband gave me over the weekend -- they really are the prettiest roses I've seen in a long time. They look lovely there posing with those 2 new quilting magazines, don't you think?

Well, I better get off of this computer and out of the kitchen (where this computer is located) so that I don't inhale the last left over strawberry shortcake --- and it's really , really calling my name . . . .

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)




1 comment:

Busy Little Quilter said...

Mmmmm. That strawberry shortcake recipe sounds great. Yes, the roses are beautiful by your quilting magazines. I see that is the new American Patchwork and Quilting. Us girls in the Midwest don't get magazines as quickly as the girls in the Northwest and the Northeast. What's with that???

Your granny square is coming along great. I don't know how to crochet.