Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Quilting in the dust (aka Extreme Quilting )

Like our pioneer sisters who hand pieced quilts in extreme conditions while crossing the dusty plains in a covered wagon, I experienced the same determination to quilt, no matter what,during the 2 hour delay at the kids' dirt bike race on Sunday. There I was, trying to see through the dust in my eyes to take that next stitch, to thread that needle, to chase after the pieces that kept blowing away, to take a break and walk to the porta potty - - - life is rough and not for sissies out there on the wide open plains -- I mean dirt bike races ! ( No quilts were harmed in the filming of this blog.)

Anyhow, this quilt is a hand piecing project I started last summer during our driving vacation to Florida and back. The pattern is Hexagon Chain ( I found it in Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine volume 12 no. 2). This is the project I have ready to take with me at anytime -- this is my hurry up and wait project -- hurry up and wait at the orthodontists' office, the dentist office, those endless wrestling tournaments, and now, to add to that list, dirt bike race delays. This is my third hand piecing project and I must say I really do enjoy it -- really keeps me from wanting to strangle somebody while I sit and hurry up and wait and wait and wait and wait ........and, I'm actually making progress on a quilt -- what a deal !

Also, since Evan (kid #2) was such a good sport using my pink/purple paisley umbrella for shade (see previous post for picture) while all the other dudes had cool, sporty racing logo shade umbrellas, I just have to post a cool action shot of him racing his dirt bike (last picture) -- (the action shot of the rider in my last post is of big brother, birthday boy Matt) . OK -- now EVERYBODY is COOL !!

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)


2 comments:

OldBagNewTricks said...

Hi Mare -- I really like that pattern and I especially like your analogy relating to the pioneers crossing the plains in their covered wagons. THAT was roughing it. I am catching up on my blog reading and I also wanted to thank you for peeking in on me and my brand new grandson. I am over the moon and it is nice of you to say such nice things. Thank you. I thought of you this morning as I made a pieced edging on a changing pad -- the closest I'll ever come to quilting!

Jenny

Darlene said...

I love your "hurry up and wait" project. I can see why you enjoy working on it. I'd love to see pics of the other two hand pieced projects. I love to do handwork and someday hope to handpiece and handquilt a complete quilt. I can dream. :-)