Monday, October 22, 2007

Lazy gal's chicken pot pie .......





I've been craving chicken potpie. I try not to buy the frozen variety (even though they're yummy) -- they have about a zillion calories and grams of fat in them -- RATS !! Anyhow, while at the grocery store, I spotted this "Cooking Light" magazine with the picture of -- gasp -- could it be? a "light" version of my latest comfort food craving? YES !!! (and I just happened to have a bunch of left over chicken already cooked!) So, I trotted up and down the aisles collecting all of the ingredients when I decided that whole scenario was gonna be WAY too much work! So, I thought to myself, how can I cheat on this recipe and it still be "light" and taste OK? Hmmmmmm....... I put back the flour and fat free chicken broth the recipe called for and picked up 2 cans of Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of chicken soup. Then, I put back the potato and sweet potato the recipe called for (didn't feel like peeling and slicing them). I did buy a bag of frozen peas and frozen pearl onions, and fresh carrots and celery (probably should have just gotten a bag of frozen sliced carrots instead of fresh -- oh well, next time!) Oh, and I did use the frozen puff pastry dough (I bought Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry I found in the freezer section next to frozen pie crusts . I never used this stuff before, so it was a learning experience -- I basically just used a rolling pin, then smooshed and pulled at the stuff until it was big enough to cover the top of the chicken mixture.) So, here's my version of "lazy gals' chicken pot pie".

Ingredients:

2 cups (or more, if you like) cooked chicken breast , cut up in bite sized pieces.
2 cans reduced fat cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Request)
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry dough (comes 2 sheets in a box of Pepperidge Farm brand)
2 cups fresh or frozen carrots (sliced)
2 cups celery (sliced)
2 cups frozen pearl onions
2 cups frozen green peas

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take one sheet of puff pastry dough out of box and defrost (let it sit out on counter -- may take about 20 - 30 minutes for it to defrost). Wash, peel and slice carrots (unless using frozen). Wash and slice celery .(slice into bite sized pieces). Steam carrots, celery, frozen peas and pearl onions in a pot (I use a steamer basket) until just tender. Put all steamed veggies and cut up chicken into an 11x7 inch baking dish. Add the 2 cans of reduced fat chicken soup and stir/combine with veggies and chicken . Place puff pastry on lightly floured surface and roll out to approx 13x9 inch rectangle. Place dough over chicken mixture, pressing to seal at edges of dish. Cut small slits into dough to let steam escape. Place dish on foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes (the original recipe said to bake for 16 minutes, but it took longer for my pastry to get brown.) Anyhow, bake until pastry is browned and filling is bubbly.

makes 8 servings
Wt watchers points = 4 points/serving

OK, the reviews are in -- my panel of distinguished food critics (Kid #1 and Kid #2) have determined that "it's about time we finally have something different for dinner , for a change" --- however, I noticed that they expertly ate AROUND the peas ..... hmmmm....... maybe the peas can be omitted ..... BUT, I like the peas , so the peas STAY !!!

Well, I'm off to clean up the mess in the kitchen (I thought if I let it sit there long enough somebody else might get the inclination to clean it up ------ well, that didn't work ......)

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

7 comments:

Red Geranium Cottage said...

That chicken potpie looks sooo good. I did chili today in the crockpot and pretended it was cold outside. LOL

Cheryl said...

Great recipe! Thanks for giving the weight watcher points. I'll be trying this one really soon.

Nancy said...

YUM!!! Wish my family would eat casseroles. :- ( Need to look for that magazine today while at the store.
We did have Chili last night AND it was COLD.....brrrr..it only reached 62 F here yesterday and today doesn't look any different.

Happy Zombie said...

Can I just skip the recipe... and come over?

Mmmmmmmmm. I'm going to give this a try. But... it still looks yummier at your house.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

I am so going to try this recipe on my family this week! Sounds delicious and not too labor intensive. Thanks, Susan

kari and kijsa said...

That pie looks delicious! Two thumbs up from the sisters for a great recipe to pass along!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Nan said...

Looks delish!! I'm coming to dinner with Monica, okay? If that won't work, then I'll have to cook it up at my house! LOL! Thanks for sharing!!