Friday, August 3, 2007

Cool and refreshing !!



AAAHHHHHH!!! Now THAT'S refreshing !! --- (standing behind a waterfall and feeling that cool spray on a HOT summer day!) That's "yours truly" standing behind Glenn Onoko Falls -- which is within walking/hiking distance from my house -- in fact, in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees, you can see the falls from the road right in front of our house. These pictures were taken last August. The waterfall is a very popular hike for locals and tourists -- some really crazy people, like my husband and some of the other neighborhood dads, have made it a tradition to hike the falls on New Year's Day with their kids -- when it's FROZEN !! (I must admit the pictures of the frozen waterfall are REALLY cool -- and of course I can't find them to show you -- we have one of kid#2 standing behind a sheet of frozen water -- if I find it , I'll post it.)

The hike is a pretty strenuous one -- some really steep areas (if you enlarge the last picture you can see how steep it is in spots.) ..... AND, like so many other things around here, the falls are supposedly HAUNTED !!!! The story goes like this --- an Indian princess was distraught over some young Indian guy and for whatever reason (sorry I don't remember) they were destined to not be together, so she threw herself over the falls --- YIKES !!!

Anyway, I've been pretty busy at work and haven't had a whole lot of time for the fun stuff this week -- that , of course, being sewing , drawing and coloring, and baking and taking care of my poor wilting garden -- so, as George from Seinfeld would say " I got NOTHIN', NOTHIN' " (that is, nothin' new or fun to show you sewing/crafting -wise today -- that's why I thought I'd at least try to cool us all off on this very HOT and HUMID August day and post the waterfall pictures from last summer!) Sooooo, now, if I finish this post for today, remove my butt from in front of this computer, go upstairs to my desk and force myself to concentrate on finishing up this week's BORING paperwork from my job, maybe, just MAYBE I'll have time to get to the fun stuff tomorrow and have some new crafty or bakey pictures to post one of these days!

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

1 comment:

Nan said...

How wonderful to have such a beautiful waterfall so close by! I love it that you go hiking there on New Year's Day - good for you!
I know what you mean about no time for fun - I haven't done much in that area, either. We'll just have to get busy, won't we?!?