Friday, August 8, 2008

Mom.....I'm BORED !!!!

Hello Blogland neighbors .... yes, we're into August and the "back to school" countdown begins .... (after all, Walmart has had back to school supplies on their shelves since about the 4th of July, right?). Anyhow, Evan has decided to take a few days off from working for dear old dad in order to , in his words, relax and finally enjoy his summer before he has to 1)start reading that book for the book report that's due on the first day of school (8/27) which , I might add, he's known about since the last day of school in June.... and 2) start soccer "two-a-days" this coming Monday (that's soccer practice from 8-10am and from 4-6pm Monday thru Friday until school starts .... along with the first scrimmage on the 16th and the need for parents to work in the concession stand AND sell 50 raffle tickets .... which the kids are supposed to sell, but somehow it always seems like I'm the one begging the grandparents to buy stuff....)

OK, anyway, it was inevitable that Evan would utter those late summer vacation words...."Mom, I'm bored..." Of course it would NEVER occur to him to maybe READ the book report book .....and he definately didn't want to go back to work,even though brother Matt was working and not available for him to hang out with, and none of his buddies were around yesterday ..... so, Evan announced that he was hungry for cinnamon raisin bread .... HOMEMADE cinnamon raisin bread .... and decided to try and make it ..... at first I begged him not to, knowing the huge mess this would cause, but then I decided I shouldn't hold back the next possible Emeril AND I would be working close enough to home so that I could pop in and out and make sure the house wasn't on fire .......so Evan found a recipe on the internet , asked me a few questions about it and off I went to work ..... when I came home for a quick check, I found....
...3 loaves of bread ready to go in the oven and ....
....Evan staring at the mess on the floor (and those SOCKS!!!.....I'm pretty sure that those socks would NEVER pass inspection in a real commercial kitchen .... at least I hope NOT!!! .... guess I better go buy another vat of Oxiclean!)
So, after I praised his baking skills, I told him to clean up his mess, or there would be no dirtbike race on Sunday ....
......as you can see, he seems to have forgotten his apron AND his shirt .... I think that would definately be looked down upon in a commercial kitchen ... but maybe he's not meant to be a chef .... maybe he's destined to be.....

.....a PLUMBER!!! (he's already got the pants for it!)



Anyway, here's Evan's bread ..... VERY YUMMY!!!!








Well, I must go and clean up Evan's version of cleaning up .... be back soon!

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

7 comments:

rachel griffith said...

yayyy evan!!!
looks yummy.
:O)

May Kristin said...

Oh well! At least you got some nice
homemade cinnamon raisin bread...
Look yummy!

Dawn said...

Okay, so he may have forgotten the apron--but his bread looks soooooo yummy.

And we hear your groans from here 'bout school supplies, homework...etc... Step outside and put your ear to the wind---yup, that noise is us sharing in the groans!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Good for Evan, they look delicious! How ambitious to give it ago while you were at work even!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

LOL - we had a similar thing happen in our kitchen...except it was my 14 year old daughter and cupcakes...It was so hard not to jump in! In the end she did a great job and was so proud of herself....summer vacations are the best!

The Southern Mom said...

Ha ha...The Shirtless Chef! The bread looks really delicious!

susan said...

looks good! i would always put off making the choc/chip cookies. mikko would even put butter in bowl. one day he got so frustrated with me, he said, i'll make them myself...which he does to this day. mikko is a very good cook, lucky for his daughter tori...