Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day !!!

Top of the mornin' to ya !! This is my shamrock BEFORE certain parties with 4 paws, a tail and fur coats chewed on it !!!

Anyhow .... since it's St Patrick's Day I thought I'd share some pictures from the Jim Thorpe St Patrick's Day parade (which actually was a week ago .... kind of anti climatic ... but I guess they didn't want it to mess with the Easter Bunny Train rides they have on Palm Sunday ..... I think the town leaders need to take some lessons from us here at MBIAJ in our Holiday Combination Tactics!)

First , we have the drinkers ......er I mean the parade spectators.







....then we have my favorite part of the parade.... men in skirts..... LOTS of men in skirts .....er, I mean Kilts!




Now this guy is the Drum Major. I don't know this man, but I do know a former Drum Major of the Philadelphia Police and Fireman Pipe and Drum Corps (who also happens to be Tim McGraw's (yes THAT Tim McGraw .... country music guy, cowboy hat , TIGHT jeans !!!)mother's cousin's husband !!! How's THAT for 6 degrees of separation!) ANYHOW, since I had a real live former Drum Major of a bag pipe/kilt wearing marching band handy, I asked him the question MILLIONS of us gals want to know ....... "What do you wear under your skirt....er I mean kilt?".......his answer (drum roll...............) "Nothin' but me shoes!" ........NNNNnnnnnnnoooooooo!!!!! GET OUT! YOU'RE KIDDING!?! Isn't that a bit DRAFTY? and how about CHAFING? Isn't there alot of chafing going on?!? He did say "Yes" and "Yes" to both of those questions, but nothin' under the kilt is "TRADITION ! " and something about "Regimental" ..... all I can say is YIKES!

Now those last 3 pictures weren't taken by me .... they were in our local paper....however, I did take a couple of pictures at the parade. Now, being the curious girl that I am, I wanted to get a couple of pictures of Men in Skirts/Kilts NOT in their formal band formations, but more in their natural state .... so, right after the parade was over, there were men in skirts scattered all over town .... I think they gather in herds, usually, but occasionally one gets away from the group...


I spotted this one scurrying towards the train station....






.......OH! and LOOK! ..... another one!!! trotting across the street (I think he was rushing to get back to the rest of his herd who were gathered outside of one of the pubs....!)

(now, I'm just teasing about all of this .... no offense meant .... AND by the way, these guys ...and some gals....in kilts sure know their way around a bagpipe!! They were REALLY good!!)

.....Anyway ..... one more St Patrick's Day picture .....
.....actually, this is the cover of a CD I bought at Walmart ... Don't you just want to jump into that picture?!? It's so GREEN and peaceful .......aahhhhh.....

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

4 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

That was fun and festive!! Thanks for the early morning parade! Nothing like men in skirts and mental pictures you can't get out of your head at 8:00 in the morning. Happy St. Patty's Day, Mare--you always make me giggle...

Vallen said...

Now Tim McGraw in a skirt, I mean quilt, with traditional underpinnings - now that is something I could jump into. I mean jump up and down about or ...march in a parade for - right. This is digressing.
Fun times back there in old Jim Thorpe.

Vallen said...

I mean Kilt!!!!!

susan said...

i gotta agree with you, nothin' nicer than a man in a kilt...i spent the last 35 years (not counting this one) on kauai...i remember when lisa first moved there...i used to sing with this all girl band and one night at the bar we were playing at an entire wedding party came in and "all" the men were in their fancy go to wedding kilts... i almost died. i got to dance with everyone of them, including the father of the bride...they'd come all the way from over the pond to have their daughters dream wedding on kauai. it was fantastic. what is it about men in kilts?!! there is a construction company in the midwest where the entire crew wears kilts but some wear shorts underneath...who cares...having lived almost all my life within hearing distance of the pacific ocean i am used to guys wearing nothing more than trunks. here, everyone is covered from head to toe most of the year. it is almost officially spring and its been really snowing hard since last night! but i love it here in the UP (upper penn of michigan). Oh! i really love your blog, i havent written anything on mine for days which i should correct latter today. look forward to reading more about you.