Saturday, January 25, 2014

Time Flies Crochet

About 21 years ago, when my youngest son was a newborn, I had a brilliant idea to crochet a baby afghan for him.  At the time I was also doing a lot of counted cross stitch and found this Better Homes and Gardens crochet book with patterns using the afghan stitch (a grid like pattern) which lends itself to doing counted cross stitch on the finished crochet blocks.  So, I crocheted a few squares (and then begged somebody else to do a bunch more).  Then I put everything in a bag on a shelf and completely forgot about it !!!    So, now my baby is a 21 y.o. , 6'1" tall  college student at Penn State University  and ......

.....he requested a "slouchy beanie" hat to keep his dredlocks warm  (yes,  dreds ........hoping it's just a phase .....).    So, this is what I've got so far ...... this is a Leisure Arts pattern booklet ("Celebrity Slouchy Beanies for the entire family"). I've never crocheted anything round before (just flat granny squares etc)...... so I had a hard time figuring out the instructions .  After a few frustrating episodes of ripping out rows because of not getting the increase in stitches I was supposed to have,  I turned to Pinterest .   There I found a very helpful blog post on "How to read crochet patterns" on Gleeful Things.  Another helpful crochet blog post on how to read crochet patterns I found here :  Slugs on the Refrigerator

So,  I guess no point in finishing that baby afghan for my 21 y.o. baby since it would only cover one of his big feet now ........ maybe I'll just use all those crocheted squares for dish cloths  ....... or give them as gifts !!!! ( so be warned friends and family  ......next Christmas you're all getting crocheted dish  cloths from me !!! )

Be back soon !
Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

No comments: