Sunday, August 21, 2011

Emergency No Sew Last Minute Pillow Covers !!!

Happy weekend Blogland Neighborhood! Well, as you know from my last post, last Sunday was Kid #2's (Evan's ) high school graduation party (held at MBIAJ Headquarters at pretty much the last possible time before he starts college classes TOMORROW !) Anyhow, not wanting to have to do a major clean up at Headquarters in order to have the party here, I tried to rent a pavilion at our local lake, but all pavilions were booked for last weekend. SO, the only possible location for the party was MBIAJ Headquarters (i.e. our house - YIKES !) Actually, this turned out to be a good thing since now the pressure was on to actually clean up the clutter and do some serious dusting and vacuuming ! (and I must say everybody here at Headquarters rolled up their sleeves and pitched in to get the place looking spic and span for Evan's big day!) So, everything looked sparkly and perfect except for .......



.....those throw pillows on the love seat and sofa - UGH !!!! Those pillows have been on my "list" for quite some time now - talk about NASTY !!!! There must be at least 6 years worth of Moonbeams Boys' and their friends' slobber , drool and stinky feet all over those pillows! AND, horror of horrors, they don't really go with anything else in the room - these are the pillows that came with the sofa.

So, with party guests due to arrive and food still needing to be picked up (yes, we cheated and went with party trays and a cake made by the local grocery store - but we did put forth a little effort and made pierogies in the crock pot and hamburger bbq in another crock pot) - I looked at those pillows and desperately googled "No Sew Pillow Covers". There were actually pretty many versions, but I went with "The Easiest Pillow Cover Ever" found on this site, orangize and decorate everything

I followed her directions for the covers except I didn't have quite enough fabric to tie a knot , so I had to ...



....... cut strips of contrasting fabric to tie around the ends of the fabric.



.....and Ta Daaaa !!!
























.....NO MORE UGLY PILLOWS !!!!!

FYI: these pillows look good and would continue to look good if we lived in a museum; however they did not stand up to the punishment that high school and college boys dish out - my pretty bows fell off and the fabric unraveled (which one would expect if said pretty pillow were to be winged across the living room at one's friend or brother's head). I think they would have held up better if I had enough fabric to follow the instructions to tie the fabric in a knot instead of having to use extra fabric to tie a bow.

So, it looks like I'm gonna have to actually sew some industrial strength slip covers for these pillows at some point. (OK, I'll go put that on my "to do list" - again !)

Be back soon!
Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

1 comment:

Pat said...

The pillows looked nice before the boys got to them!!! Thanks for sharing your idea. I'm glad the party was a success....your food sounded great!