Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"Fresh Modern" (26 year old) Quilt Blocks




Well lookie what has been dug up way back in the closet under the eaves of the MBIAJ Pink Sewing room ! I have been searching for these quilt blocks for the past year or so (ever since the "Fresh Modern" quilting trend started ) I guess I was way ahead of my time because these blocks are 26 years old !!!! YIKES ! and yes, I made these blocks back in 1986 during my second ever quilt class (back before rotary cutters and fancy rulers, and before fusible web for applique ..... yep , scissors and template plastic was how it was done !) .... BUT, I put these quilt blocks away because at the time I was made to feel that they just were too dull ....in 1986 the trend was for prints and calicos ..... and LOTS of them .....



This is a picture of my poor boring quilt blocks (taken during that class) shown between the instructor's finished quilt on the left and another student's quilt blocks on the right (both using lots of prints and calicos).






...this is another picture of more of my poor boring solid fabric pieced blocks with alternate solid blocks ....... and I clearly remember the instructor asking me " are you sure you don't want to add more colors ? are you sure you want to use all solids ?" .........ummmmmmm I thought I did ......








SO .... I thought now that solids are in style .....










....and clean crisp white as background in blocks is all the rage .....











......I thought it was high time these poor shunned quilt blocks.....













...should come out of hiding and .....













...take their long deserved place among the new "FRESH MODERN" quilts !!!
You know .... after 26 years, I still really like these blocks .... they're simple and fresh ...... maybe I'll actually finish the applique on that Rose of Sharon block and finally put this quilt together !!!





P.S. linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Be back soon!
Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

These are gorgeous, Mary Ann! Your piecing is perfect. I'm so glad to found them. They are deffinitely worth taking out of hiding.