Thursday, June 14, 2007

What's the Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

HONEY BEE blocks -- that's the buzzzzzzzz!! I've been working on sunny, summery HONEY BEE blocks!!! The honey bee quilt block pattern is one of my favorite quilt patterns -- I love how it includes both piecing and applique. I found the basic pattern at Quilters Cache , a really great resource for about a gazillion different quilt block patterns and techniques. As I was working on the block, I decided the green "bees" in the corners of the block would be fun to do with a contrasting center AND in 3-d (or would that be 2-d ? ) instead of flat applique. So, as you can see in the 3rd picture, I made the "bees" double - sided and only stitched them down around the middle green checked sections . These blocks are, of course, part of a bigger project involving Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks that didn't start out to be a big project -- but, like I said before -- I can never leave well - enough alone!

Oh ! and there are a couple more of those pesky little drawings I do instead of doing whatever else it is I'm supposed to be doing -- (and , apparantly it's hereditary because many time this past school year I had to tell Evan to stop doodling/drawing in the corners of his math homework!)

Toodles,
Mary Anne (aka Mare)


1 comment:

OldBagNewTricks said...

Mare, I know all about not being able to leave well enough alone -- I suffer from this very syndrome... wish they'd hold a telethon for a cure! ... but your "bees" are adorable and your drawings are really impressive. Looks to me like you are on the right track. If I photographed my "progress" it would look like a big mess. A very big mess!

Ah Me,
Jenny